Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I FEAR NO DRUNKARD!

One evening my companion and I were talking with some girls outside their house as a small party was going on behind them. We could tell by the man passed out on the couch outside and the lady throwing up in the front yard that there was alcohol involved. As we were wrapping up our conversation, a lady staggered out using vulgar language to try to get us to leave. Dropping her bottle on the porch, she had her eyes fixed on me as she walked my way. As she was coming, I had the words come to my mind from the prophet Abinadi "Touch me not!" She came within a foot of my face and glared at me as I looked back into her eyes. I had no fear, I KNEW that she couldn't touch me. I smiled and said, "goodnight!" and got in the truck. She walked up to the window and continued to glare at me. Smiling, I said to my companion, "Sister, drive fast!" My companion started the car forward, and this lady walked, jogged, then started running next to my window. When she passed my door, she grabbed onto the side of the truck bed and threw her leg in. She hung on as we continued driving, until one of her friends ran up and peeled her off. My companion gunned it as I watched her get into a fist fight with her rescuer through my rear-view mirror.

I had a deeper understanding of the power of God in the face of foes. Abinadi, a man who stood before his accusers, and said as they stepped forward to constrain them, "Touch me not, for God shall smite you if ye lay your hands upon me, for I have not delivered the message which the Lord sent me to deliver; neither have I told you that which ye requested that I should tell; therefore, God will not suffer that I shall be destroyed at this time" (Words of Abinadi)

I know that God protects those who are on his errand. To help myself remember this, I look in the mirror and tell myself, "I fear no man!"


1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic story! It's a "two-fer"!! First we're reminded of just how crazy people can become thanks to alcohol then you so beautifully tied one of my favorite scriptures into the story, showing how your faith has grown from that experience! Random question... Can you have tazer guns on your mission? Just a question. ;) Love you!

    ReplyDelete