Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Pear of Miracles

An elderly lady we were teaching asked us if we would help her pick her pear trees. With the early freeze, these were the first trees I had seen with fruit on them in all of Etna. She was very blessed. For three hours we picked the whole bed full of our truck. We had hundreds of pounds of pears! Being old, she said she couldn't use them so she gave us half, thinking we could give them away. So we made a big ol' sign that said "Free Pears and Free Happiness!!!" and put them on our truck and parked on the busiest street in downtown Etna! We met SOOOOOO many people and gave away pounds of pears and quite a few pamphlets. 

The next day we scheduled to do it from 5 to 6:30. I decided I wanted to do an experiment; my companion and I decided to set an appointment with the Lord. I said, "All right God, we will be there from 5 to 6:30. Send us someone at 5:30 who we can teach. We will be there waiting for them." All day long we talked about our appointment, and even wrote it in our planners, it WAS GOING TO HAPPEN! We got out there at 5 and I pulled my ukulele out and sang hymns as people came and took more pears. My excitement started to build as 5:20 came around. I put my uke away and waited like a little kid waiting for Santa. AT EXACTLY 5:30 A LADY DROVE UP!!! I must have looked like a clown with how big I was smiling. She took all the pears we had and we got her address and scheduled a time to go back and teach her.

I was overwhelmed with joy when I saw how the Lord worked with us. When we show the lord our dependability, he really increases our capability! It was cool to see how we created it spiritually, then the Lord saw that it happened physically.

In Doctrine and Covenants chapter 29, it says, 
31 For by the power of my Spirit acreated I them; yea, all things both bspiritual and temporal
32 aFirst bspiritual, secondly temporal, which is the beginning of my work 

I know that the Lord LOVES it when we make a plan and move forward with faith. Just like the story of the Brother of Jared in the Book of Mormon. He made a prayerfully made a plan and then asked for the Lord to help him accomplish what he could not do. Just like I could not make someone come to me at 5:30, the brother of Jared could not make the stones glow so they could have light in their ships. 

The Lord has asked us to do missionary work, ALL OF US. We can all make a personal game plan, just like the the Lords servants have asked. "We must each carry out our own personal game plan to serve with enthusiasm alongside the full-time missionaries" Elder S. Gifford Nielsen

He trusts us to act. 



5 comments:

  1. Love this!! And the two of you are awesome!! We saw Sis. Nielsen at our stake conference here in GP Sunday - at little home away from home (if that makes any sense). Anyway, the busiest street in Etna?! Chica, I didn't know we had one that was busy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story of faith. It is an honor to have you here in the Klamath Falls Oregon 3rd Ward.
    Brother Scott Teeples

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elder Core and I enjoyed your story. We are going to a zone meeting today, I think that I will share your idea of setting up an appointment with the Lord. We all know that he cares greatly about his work, and his "workers". May the Lord continue to bless you. Love ya Jill
    Elder and Sister Core

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister Oreo, we miss you!!!
    I loved the note and pics you sent me. Thank you. The work is moving forward here is little ol' Etna. You helped lay such a great foundation here. Keep up the great work up there in Klamath.
    Love Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally I was able to read this!
    Thanks for your game plans! I admire how much faith you have! Keep up the hard work!
    Sister Nielsen

    ReplyDelete